Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Arby's is on fire

The Arby's in New Bern, NC burned two Sundays ago. I was on my way to church and saw the smoke and flames around 8:30 a.m. I felt no need to call 911 as there were several people with cell phones standing outside. The McDonald's behind Arby's was engulfed in smoke from the fire. The fire has been ruled accidental.

I shared in our church's morning assembly that "Arby's is on fire." Some snickers followed.

"You mean it's 'on fire' on fire or 'they're having a good sale' on fire?"

"'On fire' on fire," I answered.

It was a sad scene. Arby's is my favorite place to eat.


I was introduced to Arby's many years ago by my Great Uncle Doc. It was always a special treat to ride with Uncle Doc into Jacksonville, the location (for a long time) of the only Arby's in the area.

The area around the store is now fenced in. Police regualrly patrol the area to keep people safe. I have heard no offical word about rebuilding.



Ah... roast beef. There's nothing else like it.

But at the Arby's in New Bern, it might be a bit well done.

No comments: