Monday, September 23, 2013

Monday, Monday

My typical Monday is to spend the morning helping get the boys ready for school, and then go to Forsyth after lunch to visit at the assisted living center and the nursing home.

There's nothing that compares to the joy of sharing my music with others, especially those who may not get out much. My visit is anticipated each week by me and the residents. The songs I play are all from a hymnbook.

This led to an interesting situation one week. I was called to fill in for a pastor  that could not be there on Sunday. When I arrived I started playing out of the hymnbook like I usually would. But then something strange happened -- someone came up to me and said even though it was church time they want me to play some country music. Which I don't do. And then the same thing happened again twice more with different people. So I was encouraged to play out of the hymnbook and sing even louder, and I was really getting into it. I had a great time and I'm sorry that those two or three people who wanted to hear the country music didn't like what I was playing.  I know there were many others that did enjoy the music that day. The next day the activities director called to apologize. She said they knew it was church time and shouldn't have asked for different music.

That one incident aside, my visits are very enjoyable. I love seeing the people and they look forward to seeing me. Some of them I pray with and others I'll just sit and chat with them.

There's a hospital at the other end of the nursing home and I will visit there as well. The nurses seem to look forward to my visits as well and they enjoy the music and time that I spend with the residents.

Mondays are special. I get to share my gift of music and love for God with some of the people who need it the most.

No comments: