Thursday, September 26, 2013

Who Watches the Blogger?

When Joleanna and I were married, I volunteered to put away all of the frivolous items I had attained over my lifetime. This included such silly things as Star Trek starship miniatures, superhero toys and games, my TARDIS, numerous books about role-playing games, and other so-called "collectable" items. They were a waste of time and money.

[Looks around]

Okay, Joleanna has left the room...

The truth is, she made me put away those things!

And guess what? Now that we have two little boys, I get to put them back out again!

YES!!!

The simple fact is I love having two little boys. And not just because I can play with my toys again. I mean, they can play with my toys now. Well, you know what I mean.

I love sharing life with them, and lessons from life. Simple things like don't touch the stove when it is hot. More difficult things like riding a bike. And now, we have moved into questions about God. And that is the easy stuff... wait 'til the discussion turns to girls!

I like sharing with them the TV shows I watched growing up - not the stuff on TV now. We watch the Adam West Batman, George Reeve and Christopher Reeves Superman, classic (and new) Doctor Who, Match Game, The Six Million Dollar Man (they love Big Foot), and of course, Star Trek.

I enjoy telling them stories, made up off the top of my head. Their favorite is of Thomas the Tank Engine falling down a hole (with sound effects). Superman, Mr. Spock, The Doctor, and Steve Austin all take turns in the stories trying to rescue Thomas. Sometimes Spider-Man shows up, too. Sir Topham Hat is upset with Thomas, but the hero-of-the-day explains the situation and all is well on the Island of Sodor.

I look forward to reading with them. You can guess what we read, I'm sure. Added to the mix is Scooby-Doo, Sonic the Hedgehog, Justice League, and Young Justice.

I am fascinated by what captures their interest. Mikey loves Star Wars, even though I have shown only a minor interest in it. Danny loves Doctor Who, although I really tried to turn him into a Trekkie instead.

I have fun playing with them, whether is wrestling on the floor, tickling them, fighting with light sabers or sonic screwdrivers, or outside play baseball, basketball, or football. The boys are into sports. For Mikey, it is basketball, and for Danny, football. They love to do gymnastics and acrobatic moves, often scaring their mother or grandmother in the process.

I am proud that both boys have a love for animals (particularly our menagerie of pets), an understanding of the importance of nature (no littering here), and a desire to share their knowledge with others (just ask Danny about the queen ant).

I know that because the boys both have ADHD they can be a handful sometimes. Despite that, they are generally well-behaved, well-mannered, and well on their way to becoming perfect gentlemen. Danny has a gentle, caring spirit, and Mikey naturally sympathizes with others.

I also know that I am biased in this situation, so no need to point that out to me.

No comments: