Friday, March 14, 2008

Like Nails on a Blackboard

Public Radio East (PRE) is the name of New Bern's local public radio station. Broadcasting from Craven Community College, PRE has two networks: one plays classical music and news from National Public Radio (NPR); the other plays various NPR news programs. One of the NPR news programs broadcast on PRE is "All Things Considered."

"All Things Considered" is a late-afternoon NPR news program. The show offers a wrap-up of the day's new stories. I'm usually in the car when the show comes on (4 p.m. in our area). The one irritating thing about the program is the local announcer.

At various points in the show a local announcer will give a list of local sponsors, updates on news stories of local interest, weather forecasts, or special interest features.

The problem is one of mispronunciation. The local announcer will say: "All Thangs Considered is made possible by..." I cringe each time I hear it. The word is "thing."I have often thought of calling and making a complaint, but I'm not sure it would make much of a difference.

I know, it's just one vowel. But I am a communicator as well, through various mediums: writing, teaching, singing, or preaching. It is important that I can be understood. So why not this announcer as well?

Is it asking too much that someone just pronounce the word correctly?

No comments: