Tuesday, March 18, 2008

My kingdom for an alternator

I had to be at Campbell early today, so I got up at 4:00 a.m. I'm not sure if that's Eastern Standard Time or Eastern Daylight Time. I do know it's whichever one feels earlier!

It was my turn to lead the home schooled children in my Music Ministry with Children class at Campbell Univeristy Divinity School taught by Dr. Whitley. I had all my materials planned out, the songs ready, and a really cool closing group acitivity. I needed to be there by 7:00 a.m. to prepare the room.

It's a two-and-a-quarter hour ride, so I left at 4:30 a.m. Then, disaster struck! It's 5:30 a.m., I've just passed through Kinston, and... the lights start going in and out. And then the speedometer stops working. And then the car stops alltogether.

Thankfully, I had enough intertia to coast into a small convenience store's parking lot. I immeidately called Dr. Whitley - at 5:30 a.m., leaving a message, of course - to tell him of my calamity. My next call? 1-800-AAA-HELP, otherwise known as AAA Roadside Assistance.

The lady I spoke with wanted to know if I was in a safe location, and wanted me to know that she wanted me to have the best experience possible with AAA. I didn't tell her, but things were off to a bad start since I needed to call in the first place. "Someone will be there within 45 mintues," she says at 5:35 a.m.

I then called my wife, Joleanna. And before we can finish our call, AAA calls back. "Did I say 45 minutes? I meant an hour-and-a-half." (Insert half-hearted smile.) So, I called Dr. Whitley again (and left a message again): I'm definately not going to make it.

The tow truck arrived at 7:20 a.m. and took me and my car to Colony Tire in New Bern. "Hi, Mr. Cannon. What can we do for you?" It's never a good thing when the shop owner knows you by name. I told him I figured it was the alternator. He agreed, and said they would check to make sure the battery was still good, too.

I called Lynn Brinkley at Campbell to have her spread the word that I wouldn't be at ensemble or chapel. As time passed, it became obvious I wouldn't make my other classes as well. I emailed my assignment to Dr. Jones and he was nice enough to email me back the Power Point presentation for today's class. And I called my voice teacher to tell her I wouldn't be able to meet with her today either.

So, around 2:00 p.m. I get a call that the car is ready. "I'm sorry, Mr. Cannon," the shop owner says, "that your alternator costs so much." Of course it does. Things for my car are always more expensive.

The day's shot. Dr. Whitley emailed back that class went fine. I feel bad about not being there, but there was little I could do. I got my assignments in and got word to everyone that I wouldn't be there.

At least I was okay. Hopefully things will be better tomorrow.

1 comment:

Terri Stratton said...

Hey there, I can feel your pain. Hence the reason for my blog a few weeks ago:

www.countrygirlmusings.blogspot.com

Glad everything is fixed but sorry you missed your classes.

Terri